Monday, September 19, 2005

Prescription pills turn elderly into lecherous gamblers

From the Houston Press:

In July psychologist M. Leann Dodd of the Minnesota-based Mayo Clinic published a report in the Archives of Neurology that took the Stacy study a step further. During a two-year span Dodd treated 11 Parkinson's patients who became pathological gamblers. In nine of those cases, the patients were prescribed the dopamine agonist Mirapex, or pramipexole dihydrochloride. Mirapex, in particular, Dodd found, had the greatest potential to wreak havoc on the brain's limbic system -- the area related to pleasure, mood and disinhibition.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm Troy Doney. I'm on the internet. I'm the writer of the blog "Off the Reservation" at New West. I also write a blog at Reznet. My personal blog is Man Bites Dog. I post my pictures at Flickr and I write short sentences at Twitter.

Blog Archive