Saturday, November 29, 2008

Internet Killed the Terrorist Star

When it comes to the War on Terrorism, tough choices have been made on who to ally with. Trying their best to side with organizations and governments who share their interests, the State Department as teamed up with tribes in Northern Alliance to Muammar Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi.

So it only makes sense that the new allies in the War on Terror are Facebook, Google and MTV, amongst others.

from Global Research:

They will forge an "Alliance of Youth Movement," said James Glassman, under secretary of state for public diplomacy.

"The idea is put all these people together, share best practices, produce a manual that will be accessible online and in print to any group that wants to build a youth empowerment organization to push back against violence and oppression around the world," he told reporters.

Now, I'm not going to criticize strategies that have had effectiveness against groups like FARC, but the situation in Colombia is light years away from the situation here in America.

Starting a facebook group called "Terrorism Sucks!" and getting a bunch of people to join it isn't exactly winning the War on Islamic Fundamental Militancy. Google bombing Osama Bin Laden doesn't have the same effectiveness as actually bombing him. MTV has never been cool.

This is a pointless exercise in media warfare where it isn't going to have much effect. But whatever. If you want to ostracize Al Qaeda online, be my guest. I just can't help but think that there might be more intelligent uses of that counter terrorism cash.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm Troy Doney. I'm on the internet. I'm the writer of the blog "Off the Reservation" at New West. I also write a blog at Reznet. My personal blog is Man Bites Dog. I post my pictures at Flickr and I write short sentences at Twitter.