Sunday, June 22, 2008

Police Raid, Detain Innocent Citizens

I thought the logo on the doors said "Protect and Serve," not "Don't Fuck With Us." I do hope that the law enforcement community can take constructive criticism better in the future. Otherwise, no knock warrants maybe become punishment for the slightest disobedience, maybe at random, somtimes with more nefarious intentions.
My favorite quote is at the end, where the Police Captain calls them a hate group and seems outright pained at having to let them go just because they didn't do anything legally wrong.

from the Philadelphia Daily News:

Four young residents of a North Philadelphia house who circulated petitions questioning police-surveillance cameras were rousted from their home Friday and detained 12 hours without charges while police searched their house.

Daniel Moffat, 28, a co-owner of the house, said police had no warrant when they entered. The house was examined by officials from several government agencies and then shuttered by the city's Department of Licenses and Inspections.

"This leaves me homeless, without access to things I need. My whole life is disrupted," Moffat said yesterday.

The raid on the property on Ridge Avenue near Parrish Street was led by 9th District Police Capt. Dennis Wilson, who was quoted in an online story by the City Paper as saying of the residents: "They're a hate group. We're trying to drum up charges against them, but unfortunately we'll probably have to let them go."

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm Troy Doney. I'm on the internet. I'm the writer of the blog "Off the Reservation" at New West. I also write a blog at Reznet. My personal blog is Man Bites Dog. I post my pictures at Flickr and I write short sentences at Twitter.