Wednesday, October 15, 2008

If You're Not Pure, Then Fuck Off?

Racial purity is a touchy to the point of taboo. To discuss it, you're either a racist, or debating the merits of tribal blood quantum, or a conservationist.

It seems that some of the quintessential North American species are spreading their love around, much to the dismay of preservationists. This raises a lot of questions on just which species get the support of wildlife preservation programs, and just what pure is.

from New Scientist:

Conservationists are debating, for example, whether the
western grey wolf should have been removed from the Endangered Species list because genetic studies suggest some of them are wolf-coyote hybrids.

Grey wolves are not the only ones mixing up their historical genomes. Six of the 15 bison herds in the US have pieces of cattle DNA. Meanwhile, polar bears are mating with grizzlies, resulting in hybrid "grolar bears".

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm Troy Doney. I'm on the internet. I'm the writer of the blog "Off the Reservation" at New West. I also write a blog at Reznet. My personal blog is Man Bites Dog. I post my pictures at Flickr and I write short sentences at Twitter.