Saturday, October 15, 2005

Bug Rubber in your Spine

From nature.com:

Resilin is a rubbery protein that is found in a range of insects. As well as storing elastic energy in fleas, it helps flying insects' wings to flex without causing damage to the tissue that connects wing and body.

"Resilin is much more resilient than any other rubber around," explains Chris Elvin, a biochemist at CSIRO Livestock Industries in St Lucia, Australia, who led the team that created the synthetic resilin. This resilience means that it can be stretched over and over again without losing its elastic properties.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm Troy Doney. I'm on the internet. I'm the writer of the blog "Off the Reservation" at New West. I also write a blog at Reznet. My personal blog is Man Bites Dog. I post my pictures at Flickr and I write short sentences at Twitter.

Blog Archive